How to make a drip system with a water bottle?
When you go on an extended trip or on vacation, you always have a little heartache leaving your beloved plants without anyone to take care of them. You have probably often had to deal with the problem of dehydration which ravages your plants. Rest assured, you won’t have to worry about it anymore. There is a simple and inexpensive way to make a DIY sprinkler: just place a plastic bottle on the terrace. So you will keep your plants well hydrated even when traveling for a long time. We will explain everything to you.
For automatic watering of plants
For water your plantsboth indoors and outdoors, you will need a few tools: a plastic bottle (preferably transparent), a drill (or an awl), a piece of absorbent cloth and a water source.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Start by cutting the bottom of the bottle making sure you have a flat surface.
- Drill small holes in the top of the bottle using your drill or punch. The holes should be small enough for the water to drain slowly.
- At this point, take the piece of fabric and insert it into the neck of the bottle, making sure it touches the bottom. This absorbent material is useful, as it will act as a ‘floor’ for your bottle, allowing water to drain through the holes without overflowing the bottom of the bottle.
- Finally, fill with water to about three quarters of the bottle. Turn it over and place it inside the pot the plant is in, making sure the wicking fabric touches the ground.
- From there, water will begin to slowly drip through the holes, keeping the soil moist for several hours or even days, depending on the size of the bottle and pot the plant is in.
NB : This watering technique is ideal for both indoor and outdoor plants. If you are using it in the garden, you will need to dig a small hole near the plant and place the bottle inside. Then, it must be covered with earth so that it is as discreet as possible, so as not to attract animals.
Important Factors to Consider
When using this DIY watering system, you need to take some precautions: firstly, make sure the water drain hole is placed above the ground so that the water does not not overturn. If the bottle is too big or on the contrary too small for the jar, it will not work properly. In this case, you should try to adjust the size of the bottle as well as possible or use several if necessary. Additionally, if your plant has specific water needs, you will also need to find an effective way to adjust the watering rate to suit its needs.
How to make automatic watering for your lawn and garden?
Plastic bottles – Shutterstock
To make a homemade sprinkler you will need‘a bottle mineral water. The most appropriate volume is 33, 50, 100 or 200 cl, depending on the size of the area you want to irrigate. You also need to get a hose adapter so it can properly fit any faucet. If you don’t have one, the alternative is to use a good adhesive tape: it’s a short-term solution, because it has the disadvantage of peeling off or tearing quickly. Unlike the adapter which is much stronger and more resistant to water pressure. Apart from these items, you will need a push pin, nail or sharp awl. In some cases, a thick wire may be needed to anchor the sprinkler to the ground.
- Begin by removing the cap and label from the bottle. Then, make a few holes in its surface with the thumbtack or nail. They will allow the evacuation of a water jet. Find the right balance: if you make few holes, the watering will not be optimal, and if you make too many, it will take more pressure for the jet to be powerful and go far. Also pay attention to the diameter of the hole so that it does not negatively affect the distance. The best thing is still to do a few tests until you have the right number of holes and the right size. It is even possible to bet on various diameters so that the water reaches different distances in the lawn.
- Then screw the adapter onto the neck of the bottle and the other end onto the pipe. Connect it to the tap and place the sprinkler where you want to hydrate the garden. Just open the faucet and test the power needed to properly expel the water. With this trick, you can get a green lawnfresh and healthy!
NB : If you are worried that the bottle will move under pressure, you can simply make a metal arch to catch it and fix it perfectly on the ground.
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings